Google Algorithm Updates - 2024 Ongoing Discussion

Thanks, I did the disavow in google like 10 days ago on all my sites but I dont see any difference.
Maybe I have to wait alittle longer.
If you haven't already read the entire convo in the Massive Influx of Links thread, you should start there. It gets juicy/relevant here after @MinstrelJunkie outlines his steps. If you read from that point on, you'll understand everything.

Also, if you're following Grind's strategy perfectly, you need to get Google to find those spam links again, which it won't do on its own. But, you might still get some benefit by just disavowing, though it usually takes two weeks or more. My first round of disavows took 15 days to see a result. Follow the link above, it's all covered in there.

If you haven't already read the entire convo in the Massive Influx of Links thread, you should start there. It gets juicy/relevant here after @MinstrelJunkie outlines his steps. If you read from that point on, you'll understand everything.

Also, if you're following Grind's strategy perfectly, you need to get Google to find those spam links again, which it won't do on its own. But, you might still get some benefit by just disavowing, though it usually takes two weeks or more. My first round of disavows took 15 days to see a result. Follow the link above, it's all covered in there.
Thank you!

I actually got a question, or more of a thought.
I got the IndexNow API configurated for Rank Math on one of my sites.

Does that work as an Indexer, just chugg in all toxic links there?

Thank you!

I actually got a question, or more of a thought.
I got the IndexNow API configurated for Rank Math on one of my sites.

Does that work as an Indexer, just chugg in all toxic links there?
I've never used RankMath so can't speak to that...

But, in my experience, if you're following someone's strategy and want a similar outcome to what they've achieved it's usually best to use the same tools. Otherwise, you're not giving yourself the best shot at success.

In a similar vein, @Grind do you or anyone else know of a tool that allows you to provide a list of URLs only and bulk export the domains' traffic without using an api?

Ahrefs and semrush have enough data but trying to get a better gauge of sites I found via LRT since LRT doesn't have a traffic filter.

Playing with LRT filters now and there isn't a traffic option.

Quick Tip: For those using LRT or even sheets + ahrefs or semrush data, filtering out random tlds (.pics/.cfd/.sbs/.click etc. or not .com/.org/.net etc.), Title Case anchor text, domains with #s 0-9 in them and pictures is a good start but ofc always manually check if unsure.

Last edited:
In a similar vein, @Grind do you or anyone else know of a tool that allows you to provide a list of URLs only and bulk export the domains' traffic without using an api?

Ahrefs and semrush have enough data but trying to get a better gauge of sites I found via LRT since LRT doesn't have a traffic filter.
Found a batch analysis option in ahrefs https://app.ahrefs.com/batch-analysis but only allows 200 domains...better than nothing I suppose.

Lots of web chatter about the Google Update dropping this Sunday (May 5) that will apparently target reputation abuse... e.g. parasite SEO and sites that publish unedited guest posts directly.

Does anyone else feel like 'reputation abuse' isn't the whole story and we should prepare for another round of 'WTF is Google doing to small sites' come Monday morning? ... or is that just me?

Playing with LRT filters now and there isn't a traffic option.

Quick Tip: For those using LRT or even sheets + ahrefs or semrush data, filtering out random tlds (.pics/.cfd/.sbs/.click etc. or not .com/.org/.net etc.), Title Case anchor text, domains with #s 0-9 in them and pictures is a good start but ofc always manually check if unsure.
Ahrefs has a thing called Applications, click on your Account icon in Ahrefs and then look at the left menu.

You set them up through a 3rd party tool, I use Netpeak Checker, most prob use URLprofiler and it pulls your data in through their interface. I have hundreds of custom configurations I use for various things, the latest is named surprisingly enough Disavow Quick Check.
DR
Traffic
Traffic Top 10
Traffic Value Top 10

I've built enough spam and good links over the last twenty years that I can almost always tell if a link is helping or hurting at this point based on those 4 metrics.

The ones I have to check are the obvious high authority high traffic forums. Is it a legit post where someone is talking about my product/site or is it some spam with 100 anchors mashed up in some spun text.

Lots of web chatter about the Google Update dropping this Sunday (May 5) that will apparently target reputation abuse... e.g. parasite SEO and sites that publish unedited guest posts directly.

Does anyone else feel like 'reputation abuse' isn't the whole story and we should prepare for another round of 'WTF is Google doing to small sites' come Monday morning? ... or is that just me?

Reputation abuse could also target expired domains maybe.

If it actually targeted advertorials on AAA websites, then it would be a thing for good in the force, but likely won't.

Does anyone want to take a look into everydayhealth?

All the other health juggernauts seem to be chugging along mostly unscathed or at most teeny tiny bruised but THEY got five fingers to the face.

Their traffic has been pretty volatile for a while.

utSRVI.jpg

Though looks like they've got plenty of shit links too...

0owaud.jpg

Here's Healthline for comparison. 1.6B follow links lol.

Besides their gorrilla-sized backlink profile they also have a much lower percentage of images and no follows compared to EveryDayHealth above.

2h6eiz.jpg

Their traffic has been pretty volatile for a while.

utSRVI.jpg

Though looks like they've got plenty of shit links too...

0owaud.jpg

Here's Healthline for comparison. 1.6B follow links lol.

Besides their gorrilla-sized backlink profile they also have a much lower percentage of images and no follows compared to EveryDayHealth above.

2h6eiz.jpg
99% dofollow lol... rules just don't apply to them haha...

Update from HouseOfFresh with some interesting insights... talk of Dotdash Meredith SEO strategy and how HoF is going to fight going forward: https://housefresh.com/how-google-decimated-housefresh/

TL;DR: They lost a further 91% of traffic since writing the original article. Dotdash employees reached out and explained how they use a swarming strategy for high-earning keywords. Forbes is a scam site. And HoF is going to win by going hard as fuck on YouTube, Reddit, X, Insta, FB, and email.

Back