How do I get my company back to #1 when I search my brand name?

Degree
Since the latest big Google update, about a month ago, my site is no longer at the top of search results when I search "Brand Name"

The results usually look something like this:
  1. My brand Facebook page
  2. My brand Yelp page
  3. My site here
  4. Reddit thread about my brand
  5. Quora thread about my brand
  6. My brand Trustpilot page
  7. My brand Twitter page
  8. My brand Instagram page
  9. My brand linkedin page
  10. My brand Medium.com page
So, I have the first page on lock (and the second page too, with stuff like crunchbase, youtube, glassdoor, pisseconsumer, etc). However, since the recent rounds of updates, my actual site is never #1 in the SERPs when you search for my brand name. It bounces between #2 and #4.

I should also mention that my site got hit super hard during these updates. Lost 80% of google orangic traffic.

Since then I've improved on EEAT signals, submitted huge disavow list, and have continued to add content as usual. No movement yet. Any ideas?

Everyone is generally saying it'll be the next big update before you see the boost from fixing issues on the last one.

But what I did for a new site I launched was just do a really small, very clickbaity digital PR campaign that had a bunch of local news outlets link to my site with the brandname.

That got a new site with DR3 to rank no1 for brand name despite it being a name based on a meme/old saying etc.

So something like that link wise probably worth exploring.

Thanks Steve. I should've mentioned that mine is a DR50 and a 12 year old domain.

Probably good for smallish sites, but I don't think a PR campaign would work (I've already done dozens in the past) for me.

Do you get any direct traffic or is there any searches for your brand name?

Your brand might not be an entity in Google's Schema Key-Value Pair. Therefore, even though you branded your site, Google might not recognize that it is a brand, hence why it ranks UGC sites w/ brand in content higher than the actual brand's website.

If you are a "real" business with type in traffic and branded queries and you've done a lot of PR campaigns, do you qualify for a Wikipedia profile page? Do you have investors and can be listed on Crunchbase? Both Wikipedia and Crunchbase are used as inputs for Google's Schema KVP. IMO once you have a schema for your brand, it will be treated as so and rank above those UGC sites.

If not, Google doesn't think your site is a real brand.

Do you get any direct traffic or is there any searches for your brand name?

Your brand might not be an entity in Google's Schema Key-Value Pair. Therefore, even though you branded your site, Google might not recognize that it is a brand, hence why it ranks UGC sites w/ brand in content higher than the actual brand's website.

If you are a "real" business with type in traffic and branded queries and you've done a lot of PR campaigns, do you qualify for a Wikipedia profile page? Do you have investors and can be listed on Crunchbase? Both Wikipedia and Crunchbase are used as inputs for Google's Schema KVP. IMO once you have a schema for your brand, it will be treated as so and rank above those UGC sites.

If not, Google doesn't think your site is a real brand.
Yes. I get lots of direct traffic and searches for my brand name. I'd say 100+ per day. (well, now it's getting lower since we're no longer #1)

Wikipedia deletes the profile everytime I've tried to create one in the past.

No investors - just myself and a few others. Never took outside money. But we do have a Crunchbase page.

Dropped even further today. Down to #7 or #8 for our brand name. Any other insights?

A piece of the puzzle that could be missing: Are you using sameAs schema on your website officially associating it with the social media profiles?

Back