Little traffic leak - case study

Degree
A while back I came across CCarters traffic leaks thread here and it was useful for building out my own strategies. Figured I’d reciprocate and drop one here in case anyone cares.

I’ve been driving traffic to client sites using petition sites. I start by checking which petition sites are getting some love from Google after algorithm updates. Change dot org is huge but for example actionnetwork dot org doubled its traffic over the last year, so this one looks promising too:

AD_4nXdI4uI_9JFSQfTH100bh-u22wK3QnA9KbNCvZ4wLXp4nz5WnUl9e3GPQQpzGQ8tJGjPZ7-w3oY2roEVmGr0AWJWnRxp2kvS9sdFjnRCVnVJgkF8cYsE5CYnqxFDl0uWXRd_mySLxKGkNUjN59YawYKWnbIf

Next I search for petitions on these sites that are getting a decent amount of engagement. Let's say you’re in the travel niche, you could Google “actionnetwork dot org + travel” and find something like this with 17k signatures:

AD_4nXc2WLMzq4U9JaiedwC2GsJQSSgKKjxhCenAkxuBzRL_zoXQ-mB587p8gUDO5KUCMeDZolPPKAamfpo-Jz7F-3CTxaZYg3kL4u0KuOflU5zXeAfABMs8lOzQ-dlu5EtRtlBMfaOFqfBiHuhrVgnptf_nhVE

Obviously I make sure the petition is recent and relevant to the site I’m promoting - no point in pushing something outdated that no one’s searching for.

Once I find a good one I ask ChatGPT to help me rewrite it. The prompt might be something like: “Rewrite this petition in your own words. Craft a compelling story that motivates action. Begin by outlining the problem, present a solution, and naturally encourage readers to visit xyz.com.”

After that, I optimize it with a few keywords so it will rank, throw in an image, add a link to my client’s site for some nice DR86 link juice and hit publish. If you’ve got a decent newsletter list you could ask your subscribers to sign the petition to get some extra engagement. For one client I reached out to local media outlets and they started reporting on it : ). The more people engage, the more traffic you’ll get. Oh and don't forget to build some Tier 2 links to your petition page when it's live.

There are tons of petition sites where you can post it to get both traffic and links. I built a tracker to keep tabs on all petition domains where you can apply this tactic. If you’re interested in trying it, let me know.

Back