my final weight loss journey?

Week 23: 87.8 kg

No big changes. I'm still trying to figure out how much meat should I eat.

Week 23: 87.8 kg

No big changes. I'm still trying to figure out how much meat should I eat.
At you're weight you if you eat around 135g of protein you'd be in good shape (.7g per lb, I forget what the converts to in kg) but still you need to consider calories in / calories out. Get a baseline of calories you're consuming now by tracking it for a week and get your average. Then cut that by 250 to 500 calories.

Or if you don't want to cut any more, consider strength training. You're body will "recomp" and you'll look and feel great at the same weight. Look up Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.

Week 24: 89.1 kg

Not gonna lie, I ate a lot last week. And I mean a lot – frequent meals and snacks. I'll try to eat less this week. Let’s see if my body can handle that one-meal-a-day thing again. Truth be told, it’s been the only method that has truly worked for me. Eating two meals a day or trying other approaches has only helped me maintain my weight, which isn’t a bad thing. A lot of people trying to lose weight call this "stalling," but eating well while managing your weight for months must be healthy. The problem is, it's not aligned with my original goal, which was to lose weight and get down into the 70s.

At you're weight you if you eat around 135g of protein you'd be in good shape (.7g per lb, I forget what the converts to in kg) but still you need to consider calories in / calories out. Get a baseline of calories you're consuming now by tracking it for a week and get your average. Then cut that by 250 to 500 calories.
I appreciate your support. I've been trying to eyeball the amount of meat or fish I eat without counting calories. I probably never will, as I’ve found that labels are often inaccurate. Some are accurate, but others are way off. So I thought, what’s the point of counting calories if even the companies selling these products struggle with it? What chance do I have?

My approach to estimating the right amount of food is by using my eyes and reading the list of ingredients. If the ratio of sugar or carbs seems high, I know it's not going to help me lose weight. If there's a lot of steak on my plate, I know it won’t help either. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn’t – it depends on how much and how often I eat. But I do have a general idea of what's okay and what isn't. It's just a matter of aligning how much I eat with my goals.

Week 24: 89.1 kg

Not gonna lie, I ate a lot last week. And I mean a lot – frequent meals and snacks. I'll try to eat less this week. Let’s see if my body can handle that one-meal-a-day thing again. Truth be told, it’s been the only method that has truly worked for me. Eating two meals a day or trying other approaches has only helped me maintain my weight, which isn’t a bad thing. A lot of people trying to lose weight call this "stalling," but eating well while managing your weight for months must be healthy. The problem is, it's not aligned with my original goal, which was to lose weight and get down into the 70s.

I appreciate your support. I've been trying to eyeball the amount of meat or fish I eat without counting calories. I probably never will, as I’ve found that labels are often inaccurate. Some are accurate, but others are way off. So I thought, what’s the point of counting calories if even the companies selling these products struggle with it? What chance do I have?

My approach to estimating the right amount of food is by using my eyes and reading the list of ingredients. If the ratio of sugar or carbs seems high, I know it's not going to help me lose weight. If there's a lot of steak on my plate, I know it won’t help either. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn’t – it depends on how much and how often I eat. But I do have a general idea of what's okay and what isn't. It's just a matter of aligning how much I eat with my goals.
Gonna chime in here as someone who is and has always, with rare exceptions, been in great shape...

And I'll clarify it's largely by design vs freak genetics, drugs, or whatever...and the 'your coasting on your youthful metabolism' bullshit line can't be thrown at me anymore either as someone in my midish forties

tzoFLDA.jpeg

[mod note: embed your images, don't link to them]

That's normal, shitty, unflattering lighting from a recent progress pic I took after I had let my bf% get a little sloppier than usual for a while...I'm now a bit leaner with more muscle, but not stripping for a fresh pic for this or vanity stakes.

Point being, not a 20 year old fake tinder pic or the like.

I've been getting, testing, applying/chucking information from a wide variety of sources for decades too vs being in a vacuum and close minded, grabbing onto the latest fad etc.

Since your not at your lean/healthy weight goal yet, I'd take your ideal healthy, lean weight (lean being 10-15% for men max), whatever that is for your height and frame with some solid muscle on it and body fat in check...

Multiply that by .8 or in a caloric deficit maybe bump it up to a full gram per lb (not kilo thats way to low)...

Then backfill the rest of your calories with carbs and fats...whatever ratio/% you want of either depending on what your body feels best with...with a good general rule of not going below 20'ish % min fat or 60g total or your gonna run into metabolic/health problems from that.

Don't be afraid of saturated fat/cholesterol.

Get your bmr and subtract 500ish cals per day, add in some regular exercise, you can drop 1- 1.5lbs of relatively pure fat per week and maintain muscle and feel great doing it.

I get what your saying about serving sizes on manufacturers labels being confusing etc...but hey, drop the vast majority of labelled, processed crap anyways...

The basics are super easy and only 'need' to be done for a couple weeks so you get a good visual of what different foods actually look like for X number of macros. Get a 20 dollar digital food scale on amazon.

Core numbers are: lean meats are about 100g protein per lb RAW WEIGHT. Adjust for fat/protein content for fattier cuts of steak or 80/20 ground beef etc.

That said, as mentioned earlier...nothing wrong with sat fat/cholesterol, u need a min of that for hormone production/brain/metabolism/general health, but especially for a short term cal deficit you still have to look at caloric load...so its' generally going to be leaner cuts, or draining the majority of fat/greaser off of fattier beef.

White rice, super easy to weigh/measure by the quater cup dry weight for a clean source of carbs...same goes for fruits.

Berries, low glycemic, super nutrient dense...super easy to weigh/measure for X amt of carbs

And with chatgpt recognizing images now its super super SUPER easy to do all this on the fly. And tracker apps like carbon or the like are great too.

Great resources of info to search thru, great podcasts/youtube channels without getting overwhelmed would be:
Layne norton
paul saladino
peter attia
andrew huberman
thomas delauer
mike israetel
gabrielle lyon
rhonda patrick
dave asprey

Keep it up

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 25: 89.0 kg

I think the food I ate was okay. I did get a huge bag of nuts as a gift and I felt an urge to eat them regularly. Now, there's nothing bad with nuts. In fact, it's great survival food because of the shelf life and how much energy they pack for their weight. However, it's not in line with my goal. In a way, I'm relieved that the bag is now almost empty. I won't have to eat more.

I get what your saying about serving sizes on manufacturers labels being confusing etc...but hey, drop the vast majority of labelled, processed crap anyways...

The basics are super easy and only 'need' to be done for a couple weeks so you get a good visual of what different foods actually look like for X number of macros. Get a 20 dollar digital food scale on amazon.

Core numbers are: lean meats are about 100g protein per lb RAW WEIGHT. Adjust for fat/protein content for fattier cuts of steak or 80/20 ground beef etc.

That said, as mentioned earlier...nothing wrong with sat fat/cholesterol, u need a min of that for hormone production/brain/metabolism/general health, but especially for a short term cal deficit you still have to look at caloric load...so its' generally going to be leaner cuts, or draining the majority of fat/greaser off of fattier beef.
Thanks for suggesting I avoid ultra-processed food. Most of what I’ve been eating for the past 25 weeks has been organic. It’s hard to count calories, though, since most of the food I buy doesn’t have a nutrition label.

Where I live, the government doesn’t require labels on organic food. Even if they did, it’s tough for producers to give exact numbers because organic food isn’t made in a lab—it naturally varies. Even if I only bought foods with labels, the FDA and European food authorities allow the calorie counts to be off by up to 20%. I don’t have access to a lab, so I can't check if the labels are accurate.

As for weighing food, I do have a scale, and I used to use it for pasta. But I haven’t touched it in a while because I don’t eat many carbs these days. The small amount I do eat comes from tortillas and Finn crisps. I don’t plan to use it for weighing beef or fish.

I also want to mention that this isn’t my first time trying to lose weight. I lost over 30 kilos during college without listening to a single podcast, and it took me about eight years to gain it back.

As for Huberman, I don’t really know much about him. I’ve just seen his YouTube channel constantly recommended. The only things I know are that he’s a neuroscientist and promotes Athletic Greens. That’s a big red flag for me, because AG1 was started by Chris Ashenden, a con man who fled New Zealand after ripping people off in a real estate scheme. I suspect Athletic Greens is just another scheme, and I don't really follow people who profit from promoting it.

I do understand why social media influencers get into the supplement business, especially after seeing how much money Alex Jones made selling Super Male Vitality, a non-FDA approved supplement, to his followers. There's a lot of money to be made.

Back